Saturday, July 23, 2011

Changes that Change Your Life

Over the last two weeks I've been sporadic at best in posting. Made a few promises about a post or two I didn't keep, too. You're probably wondering if I'm just flaky, or if something else is going on.

The real excuse is that I've been called as the bishop of my local LDS congregation--just 2 weeks ago. Those of you who understand what this means will probably instantly understand why I've been so inconsistent.

For those of you who don't, this means filling a 25+ hours a week assignment on top of work and family performing the ecclesiastical functions similar to a priest or minister in other churches. Needless to say, it's a bit overwhelming, though extremely gratifying. It's an unpaid position, but one of deep responsibility and mental and spiritual requirements.

So, in addition to being away at scout camp this week, and yes, falling off the face of the planet (it's been too long since I read Douglas Adams--should have kept the flying thing in mind!), I've been a little busy and preoccupied.

But I've recuperated somewhat from camp, and gearing up for Sunday duties is taking its time. But tonight, after many weeks, I'm going on a date with my wife and seeing Harry Potter.

Monday I have a holiday, however. That means I'll have some time early in the morning. That's when I'll tell you what I think about Harry Potter. But more importantly, I'll reveal option 3--and see what you think about it. I finally have enough information to share. What I don't have is the time to actually pursue it--not for a few months, anyway, until the dust settles and I'm more integrated into this huge change in my life.

Until Monday, then.

4 comments:

Karen Hoover said...

Wow, Josh, I always knew you were the kind of guy who could be a bishop, but I hadn't expected it to hit you so young.

Best of luck to you in fulfilling all your duties. I know you'll do great because that's just the kind of man you are.

You'll be in my prayers.

John Waverly said...

Bishop! That's awesome, and HUGE. It's a lot of work, but the blessings are tremendous. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Bob Whitmore said...

Bishop Perkey,

You have been well trained and have many that will add their prayers to those of your family and loved ones.

Best wishes as you begin this journey.

Bob

Joshua J. Perkey said...

Thanks, folks. I appreciate your support!